Thursday, September 13, 2007

Alex Rocks Big Time...

So my sweet, some times somber, often silly, Alexander has come a long way. From his very first photo at the hospital, to his turn in the bowl (family tradition), to his adventure in the dryer, to his first Boy Scout Camp; he remains my sweet baby boy. Even as he progresses and his character grows, I see the man he will become.
Here is the progression of Alexander receiving his birthday gift. Notice dad looking on proudly in the lower middle shot. What a fun night this was. We had Alex open his presents tonight, even though tomorrow, September 14, 2007 is his official birthday. He is going to be out late tomorrow evening at Kearney High Schools home game with a bunch of his friends and his brother's posse'. After the game they are all coming back to the house for an all night Halo match. Then up on Saturday to go to the Skate Park in Excelsior. He is way excited. (Don't you love the center shot of Alex... he is showing how he will be rockin' out big time) I love it. We had to almost twist his arm to get him to open his present, then he was all smiles. I'm pretty sure this is his favorite gift ever. Jake has been teaching him to play drums and guitar. Alex is so very lucky to have his super talented brother-in-law so willing to teach and he loves him for it.

Alexander Bruce Richardson (named after my father, Victor Bruce McOsker) was born on September 14, 1993. He was our little surprise. We tried so hard to have another child after Misty, then it was five years before Zach arrived. Then a little over a year later, we are expecting our fourth child. I can tell you it was quite a surprise. Especially after the problems with Zach's birth. Alex's aunt Tonya always said Alex was hers because we teased her that we created him in her new water bed when we stayed overnight with mom after a New Years Eve party. After Tonya got over the yick factor, she thought it was kinda neat. Alex was my only child that I new exactly when I got pregnant. I think I found out I was pregnant a few weeks into it... I knew I was pregnant, I could just tell... I can't remember how many tests they made me take before they confirmed it... but I can tell you I was overjoyed! Alex was a planned C-section. No messy labor and needless pain with him... nope, we set the date... and he arrived. He was so serious and sweet. It almost seemed he had something to tell me. He would open his eyes wide and look right into my eyes. His sister and big brother were so excited to get to take him home from the hospital. Then we found out that he was a little jaundice, but it was nothing to be worried about, they would send out his own little glow worm outfit... Belly Rubin lights... and he would be good to go. It was the neatest thing I had ever seen. He looked just like a little glow worm... truly! It was a six inch wide belt of special fiber optics that was wrapped in a soft fabric which I'd Velcro around his waist and chest. Then you dressed him and turned it on. The kids and neighbors loved it. I wish I still had the picture. It was much better than having to take him back and forth to the hospital for Belly Rubin treatments, the blood tests on his tiny feet were bad enough. Every day someone would have to drive us in to the family doctor to have his blood drawn, until his levels remained in the safe zone. What a bother... especially since I had a seven year old and a twenty-two month old to tote as well.

Isn't funny how these memories remain so very vivid. Alexander I am so very proud of you. I look forward to you being set apart to a teacher in the Arronic Priesthood. It has been a blessing to have you be a part of my family. Thank you for your choice in the preexistence and for ultimately choosing to be a part of our family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY! Happy Birthday Alex! I'm pretty sure the guitar stand Jake and I got him pushed his excitement to the limit....WAY cooler than a new guitar...hahaha.

The Smiths said...

Happy Birthday to you!! from Aunt Renee and Uncle Jeff