Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Funny Story... Scary Lady...

So the story goes something like this...

My good friend, Anita, and I decided to kill two birds with one stone over lunch today. We went to the HyVee Grocery Store for both lunch and to order cakes for our sons' birthdays. We proceeded to the deli counter to pay for our awesome lunches from the HyVee Salad Buffet... truly a stellar Salad Buffet... I had to make do with the image above... didn't have a camera handy to take a picture and they would have thought I was crazy if I whipped one out anyway... sorry I digress...

Anywho
, Anita went to the buffet first while I staked out claim to our table. Then we swapped places. Now I don't know if you've ever been to a HyVee Salad Buffet... but they are huge and people join the throng from all sides at all times... Peace Lovin' Me walks up to the buffet... I notice a lady at the end... yes, near the plates... but not really looking toward the salad section at all.... but is instead poking around the fruit and dessert section on the end... so I step up to the plates, take one and begin to fill my plate with salad goodness... when all of a sudden I hear and see her... yes the scary lady... go... Well hmmmmffff! So I say, I'm sorry did I cut you off... in all sincereness... I kid you not. And scary lady says... Well I'm from Southern Missouri and We don't treat people like this where I'm from.... then she proceeds to storm off around to the other side of the bar with her plate.

About this time a nice man and his sweet little boy approach the buffet from the other direction to get the little one some Chili and Cheese... nice man says Pardon Me... I step back and say... go right ahead.... And Then.... Yes, that's right... Scary Lady storms back around the buffet with plate in hand... still nothing added to her plate... storms right up to me... Not Exaggerating at All... and says And you have on a peace sign!!!! and I say... Excuse Me? Scary Lady again...You have on a PEACE SIGN!!! (see picture below) and confused and by this time a little frightened me goes... I thought you were getting dessert. At this point she storms over to the Customer Service Counter to complain about MY behavior... I'm not joking!!!

Now I promise you there was no rudeness intended, but scary lady has taken away a horrible impression of we folk from up North.

Now some of you might not know me very well, but if you did and do, you know that I will let almost anyone in front of me... so I feel kinda bad that it went this way... But I'm just sayin' SCARY CRAZY LADY from Southern Missouri... I am SOOOOO Sorry!

Oh, so when I went back to tell my girlfriend about my experience. Anita says... her words not mine... You are one of the nicest politest people I know... Now if it had been me, I maybe would have done it without ever having noticed I'd caused offense. I think your outfit must have set her off. She's judging you because of what you have on. She was kidding of course.
I just want to say...I'm not trying to make a statement with my outfit... I just Loved the Color!

Let me know if you've ever experienced something like this. I wanna hear your horror stories... we can commiserate.

2 comments:

Maren and Ryan Meldrum said...

ha ha ha, they all say "Missourah" down there anyway. I think I'd be far too shocked to really muster up anger and rudeness back in that situation. I'd just be flabbergasted. She seems so determined to be offended!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Oh my word! I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
I would surely have turned 4 shades of red and started to cry if someone treated me like that in public. Either that or I would have gone off on them (my emotions are all the place at this stage of my life. LOL)

"Let me know if you've ever experienced something like this."
Yes, but the woman suffers from dimentia and alzheimers. (seriously)